Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Dizzy Lizzy - KYOK


I am grateful to Michael for sending me this piece showing Novella Smith who used the name Dizzy Lizzy on KYOK. I'm not sure of the date; KATL flipped to KYOK in late 1954 and the name Dizzy Lizzy may have been used by more than one person over the years.

Other names used by KYOK jocks included Groovy George, Razzle Dazzle and Hotsy Totsy. I probably listened to Novella as a kid but not much. I listened to KYOK a lot in the late 1950s but because of their highly directional signal and my location, I could only pick them up at night and I'm pretty sure she was on during the day.

Here's more on Novella Smith. There are more pictures related to KYOK listed under the pictures category.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I USED TO LISTEN TO HOTSY & DIZZY OFTEN IN EARLY 50'S. THEY PUT OUT A GREAT SHOW BEFORE ROCK & ROLL. I FIRST HEARD "LAWDY MISS CLAUDY" ON THEIR SHOWS. RACE MUSIC WAS MY THING BACK THEN. LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT WHITE PERFORMERS SUCH AS ELVIS WOULD START IMITATING THEM.