Sunday, June 6, 2010

KGUL-TV Original Transmitter Site

When Channel 11 signed on in 1953, the transmitter was located at what was then Arcadia, described as half way between Galveston and Houston but actually much closer to Galveston. I've just learned that the original building is still standing, although perhaps not for long. Arcadia has since been incorporated in Santa Fe along Highway 6 and the site is just to the east of and behind Santa Fe High, on Tower Road at Maple.





View Larger Map

Here's the article on this blog about the launch of KGUL-TV.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like finding abandoned sites.

Anonymous said...

This was Channel 8's transmitter site in the 1970's.

Nancy Savage Moore said...

My Dad, Bob Savage, had a radio show at KGBC called Savage at Seven, we lived in Lindale, close to the Radio station and I use to go to work with him on Christmas Eve, when he would talk to Santa while my Mom was putting Christmas presents under the tree. Later when KGUL started up, Dad hosted Talk of the Town, I have a picture of him interviewing Jimmy Hoffa. I also got to meet James Stewart one time too.

My Dad also wrote a book about the Texas City Fire. I lived there from 1950 to 1958.

Del Pearson said...

iwas a dj at kgul am radio in port lavaca texas when the call letters were first used. when i started, i was still in the air force at matagorda island and worked at kgul on the weekends. after going to school in seatttle li returned as a full time announcer and engineer. this was all bewteen dec 1962 and august 1963 when i moved on to ksix am and kztv channel ten in corpus christi texas. kgul had block programming while i was there, and i did mor and country mostly.

Steve said...

This was later the site for KLC Galveston Radio, a Marine Radiotelegraph station hadnling messages for commercial ships worlwide. My friend Bob Peebler was an operator there and I visited in 81 or 82.

Anonymous said...

I visited it also one evening about 79 or 80. I lived on Shady Drive parallel to Tower Road. At times the CW could be heard on my TV and radios.