Tuesday, July 31, 2007

KPRC Station Profile

KPRC, 950 AM

Original air date: May 9, 1925

Original owners: The Houston Post-Dispatch newspaper

Original call letter meaning: Kotton Port, Rail Center

Current owners: Clear Channel Communications

Website: The 950 - Radio Mojo

Additional call letters used: none

KPRC is usually credited as the oldest station in Houston and that is true with the qualification that it was licensed to Sugar Land, Texas, for a while in the late 1920s-early 1930s. It is sometimes claimed that it was the first Houston station but that is false; it was the 11th station licensed to Houston in the early 1920s.

A KPRC/KPRC-FM Gallery on this blog.

A special Gallery of KPRC personalities Tim and Bob.

Photos at the Center for American History, the University of Texas at Austin, relating to KPRC. This grouping will include at least one photo relating to KPRC-TV.

An additional photo
listed at CAM under K.P.R.C.

All posts on this blog labeled KPRC (in reverse order as posted).

For additional mentions of the call letters, use the search feature.

4 comments:

BMcBryar said...

I would like help in retrieving a radio broadcast done in May 1948 interviewing my grandmother and aunt on their way to Czechoslovakia to visit relatives. KPRC did the interview and we have a steel/aluminum vinyl coated record of the event. However, the vinyl is rapidly deteriorating and I would like a written transcript/cd of the interview. I remember listening to the record over and over as a child and would like for my children to be able to hear the voices of their greatgrandmother. Thanks

Bruce said...

Important questions: what size is the disk (diameter) and what speed does it play at?

That is probably what was called an Electrical Transcription, the medium used before magnetic tape for recordings. Amazing that it's lasted this long.

I'll be checking around to see what I can find about who might be able to handle that. Contact me using the email link on the profile page, please.

Bruce

Unknown said...

I would like help locating a television show in which my grandmother was the host. It was in the mid 1950s on KRPC TV and was called "Coffee at 9" It aired every Tues and Thurs at 9am. The show was 15 minutes in length. I believe it was affliated in some way with Good Housekeeping and KPRC-TV.

Bruce said...

I don't have anything on it but I'll see what I can find. What was your grandmother's name?